How to Excel at a Virtual Interview
Since most, if not all interviews are turning virtual to maintain social distancing these days, here are some tips to make sure you are at your best:
1. Reliable Technology:
- Make sure you have a reliable internet signal so you don’t cut out or lose someone in the middle of the interview.
- Have plenty of charge on your cell phone.
- Dial into a conference call early to make sure you don’t run into any problems and end up late.
2. Focus, Focus, Focus:
- Focus on your interview as if it were in-person.
- Cut out distractions and don’t multi-task.
- Make sure someone is available to keep an eye on your kids and pets, and tend to their needs during your interview.
- If you don’t have someone around, have the kids watch a video and give the dog a bone to keep them occupied!
3. Listen Carefully and Speak Clearly:
- Do not talk over or interrupt the interviewer.
- Let the interviewer guide the conversation.
- If you use your hands when you talk, sit on them! It can be distracting if you are doing your interview via a video conference platform and your hands are in front of the screen.
4. Positive Energy and Enthusiasm:
- Sit at a desk so you convey a professional, business attitude.
- Dress for the interview even though you are sitting at home. Professional attire and grooming will convey your professionalism and enthusiasm for the position!
5. Be Prepared:
- Do your research and have notes handy.
- Be prepared with questions, a copy of your resume and if possible, the interviewers LinkedIn profile to ask questions or note common interests, backgrounds, or network connections.