So you know you need to establish your personal brand, but where do you start?
Part 2 of 4
Two weeks ago, I shared the purpose for building “U” Brand and why it’s important to start managing your career strategy today for your future goals. It’s time to establish your credibility and capability!
In order to create power with your brand in today’s job market, you MUST have an online social media presence and digital footprint! Building a social media presence keeps you visible and credible as well as showcases why you are a trusted advisor in your field, on a continual basis, the more connected you are, the greater your odds are of gaining referrals in the hidden job market for current or future opportunities. Those of you who are currently in the market for a new job will achieve success quicker when you tap into your professional connections through social media. As you probably already know there are various verticals to showcase your brand and connect with your network, including: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc… etc… You only need to pick a couple to build and maintain and you do not need to spend hours every day developing this, just a few hours each week.
Here is a step-by-step process to build your network and social media brand:
- Build a firm foundation for your online presence by creating a compelling, concise and professional profile that showcases your current skills/expertise and accomplishments as well as talents you can offer to your network or future employer. Including a professional photo significantly increases the chances that your profile will get viewed.
- Continuously add and build trusted connections in your current and target field/industry. Engage current and previous colleagues, clients, professional acquaintances with your equivalent job title and those who hold job titles a step or two above yours, friends, college peers and Recruiters.
- Ask for recommendations from managers, colleagues, clients etc…on a professional experience they had working with you. There is nothing more powerful than having someone endorse your skills, expertise and “U” Brand for others to see on your profile.
- Provide recommendations to professionals you conduct business with, who stand out or go above and beyond, to help build their personal branding as well.
- Join and participate in groups and conversations with people in your field or industry.
- “Like” and comment on postings from the connections in your network.
- Ask your fellow network for their expert advice/tips on various topics.
- Post tips and valuable material written by you or experts, that others may find beneficial.
- Participate in a networking or group event from time-to-time.
- “Follow” companies in your industry or organizations you may enjoy working with in the future.
- “Share” job leads.
Once you have your profile set up and choose the groups and relationships you want to build, you are on your way to building “U” Brand! Maintaining and engaging shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes per week. Be authentic and professional in all matters. Be cautious of commenting on topics that elicit a negative or offensive viewpoint. Remember, your network is watching how you engage in professional settings.
I provide resume and social media profile writing as well as career and Branding “U” coaching. Please let me know how I can help you or a friend build a career strategy.
Stay tuned for Part 3 of my Branding “U” blog series in 2 weeks.
Feel free to share, “like” and pass this along to your friends or your network!
Refer a friend to me to write their resume and you will receive a gift card of your choice as part of my new Gift Card Referral Program.